Wednesday, August 28, 2013

De-Activated College Dropout (sans Kanye).

I went to Arizona State right after high school against the will of my parents. We were the #1 party school at the time and that's exactly what I did. Party. I don't even remember going to classes my second semester. I was too busy doing blow and drinking cheap vodka with my friends.

Since then, I've heard nothing but "you need to go back to school." I've put it off for a couple of different reasons. One reason was, and is, that I'm a young girl, living on my own and paycheck to paycheck (at a job that I hate.!) aka. I HAVE NO MONEY TO PAY FOR IT! Another reason was because I had no idea what I really wanted to do. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a forensic scientist. CSI style. After that faded, I wanted to be a social worker. As you can probably tell already though, I'm far too emotional for that. So I kept telling myself, and others, that I would only go back when I knew what I wanted to do since I am the one footing the bill.

Well eight years later, I've just completed my application (almost. I still have to write an essay) for The Art Institue of Michigan. I will be going towards a B.A. in Fashion Marketing and Management, which is something that I've been looking into for years. I've had a love for fashion since I was 11 years old and now that my modeling career is over, I've been looking into other opportunities within the industry. Fashion PR is something that has stuck out to me in my research and I know alot of folks in that field (from my own networking). Either PR or being a booker at an agency. That's probably more my speed. However, I've come to realize that I will not be able to just walk into an agency and say, "hire me cause I'm cute, I've got a great eye for talent, and I type 70 wpm." I have to be able to prove to them why I'm an asset - which somewhere inside I know that I am.

Now we just have to figure out how the hell I'm going to pay for this (& I still have to write that essay.)

3 comments:

  1. I abosultely love reading your writing! :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Thank you. I didn't even know that anyone was paying attention.

    ReplyDelete